The international community uses sanctions in order to exert influence on conflicts within and between countries, without military intervention. Common sanctions are arms embargos, the freezing of assets, travel restrictions and trade restrictions. The Netherlands sets out these international sanctions in sanctions regimes.
Customs monitors compliance with sanctions upon the import and export of goods and services from and to certain countries. The Customs Central Import and Export Office (CDIU) issues licences and grants exemptions that relate to this.
Sanctions upon export
The export of certain goods to certain countries is prohibited or is only allowed with a licence. For example:
- export of military goods to countries where a war is raging
- export of goods to countries where a dictatorial regime is in power
In those cases, Customs checks whether the goods contain the licence that is required for the export. If this is not the case, Customs will stop the export.
Sanctions upon import
Sanctions also apply upon import. As a result, the import of certain goods from certain countries is prohibited or is only allowed with a licence. In these cases, Customs checks whether the goods contain the licence that is required for the import. If this is not the case, Customs will stop the import.
Does a sanction apply?
If you want to know whether you are dealing with goods or countries to which a sanction applies, you can check the below websites:
- eeas.europa.eu/cfsp/sanctions/index_en.htm Here, you can find an overview of all sanctions imposed by the European Union
- Sanctions Act 1977 at wetten.overheid.nl
- the Strategic Goods Manual of the Ministry of Economic Affairs
Here, you can find an overview of applicable sanctions (national and international) and more information about export control policy.
- information about the role of sanctions ensuring international peace and safety from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
You can use the following forms for notifications and applications in connection with sanctions. Also read how to submit the forms.
- Aanvraag Vergunning uitvoer of doorvoer strategische goederen of sanctiegoederen
(Application for a Licence for the export or transit of strategic goods or goods subject to sanctions
- only available in Dutch)
- Aanvraag Vergunning uitvoer/wederuitvoer sanctiegoederen van bijlage II naar Rusland met voorbeeld End-use Certificate / End-User Statement
(Application for a Licence for re-export sanctions goods listed in Annex II to Russia with sample End-use Certificate / End-User Statement - only available in Dutch)
- Bijlage Cryptografische producten (bij de Aanvraag Vergunning uitvoer of doorvoer strategische goederen of sanctiegoederen)
(Appendix regarding Cryptographic products (to the Application for a Licence for the export or transit of strategic goods or goods subject to sanctions - only available in Dutch)
- Melding Vermissingverklaring
(Notification of the loss of a licence - only available in Dutch)
- Melding / Verzoek vergunning Geldovermaking van of naar Iran
(Notification / Application for a Licence for Money transfer from or to Iran
- only available in Dutch)
Please note! You cannot submit this form via the message box of antwoordvoorbedrijven.nl. Follow the instructions in the form.
More information about sanctions can be found on the website of the Government of the Netherlands: https://www.government.nl/topics/international-peace-and-security/contents/compliance-with-international-sanctions.