I want to apply for a benefit

Check how and when to apply for a benefit.

How to apply for a benefit?

You can apply for a benefit on-line via the Mijn toeslagen section. You will need a DigiD for this. The 'Mijn toeslagen' section is only available in Dutch.

You can also call the Tax Information Line. They can make an appointment for you at a tax office or refer you to a benefits service point. Here, they will help you with your application.  

Citizen service number

If you apply for a benefit, you must have a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN). You will receive this number if you register with the municipality. You must have a citizen service number for your child as well.

What is the deadline for applying for a benefit?

You can apply for health care benefit, rent benefit and supplementary child benefit for a certain year up to 1 September of the following year. For example, you can apply for a benefit for 2015 until 1 September 2016.

Do you file an income tax return in the Netherlands and are you granted a postponement for filing the income tax return for 2015? In that case, you can still apply for a benefit until the end of the postponement period.

Benefit for child care

You should apply for child care benefit within 3 months after the month in which your child goes to a child care centre for the first time. Therefore, do not wait too long before applying for the benefit, otherwise you will miss out on the benefit.

When will my benefit be paid to me?

We will send you a notification within 5 weeks after your application. This notification will state whether you are entitled to a benefit and, if so, the amount of this benefit. If we need more information, it may take 7 weeks or longer until a notification will be sent by us.

Soon after you have received the notification, you will be paid the benefit. More information can be found under How is my benefit paid to me?

Applying for a benefit once

You only need to apply for a benefit once. As long as you meet the conditions, the benefit will be paid to you each year. You should submit any changes in your situation. Or discontinue the benefit if you are no longer entitled to it.

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.