I am travelling within the European Union (EU)

Travelling within the European Union (EU) is like travelling between Goes and Groningen. You do not need to go through Customs. Are you travelling from special EU areas or with special products, such as counterfeit articles, endangered species of fauna and flora or food? Please take into account additional regulations.

I am travelling from the Canary Islands or the Channel Islands or another specific area

The Canary Islands or Channel Islands are not considered EU territory. Tax regulations for travels from outside the EU are applicable here. See: I am travelling from outside the European Union (EU) to the Netherlands.

Other areas that are not considered EU territory: The French overseas departments (Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, Réunion, Mayotte), the Åland Islands, Gibraltar, Heligoland, Büsingen, Ceuta and Melilla and Livigno.

Campione d’Italia, the Italian waters of Lake Lugano area and Mount Athos belong to the EU territory, except for the VAT rules.

I am bringing beverages (alcohol) or tobacco with me

Are you travelling within the EU? You are then allowed to bring in for your own use:

  • 110 litres of beer
  • 90 litres of wine, of which a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine
  • 20 litres of fortified wine, such as sherry or port
  • 10 litres of spirits, such as whisky, cognac, gin
  • 800 cigarettes
  • 400 cigarillos (cigars with a maximum weight of 3 grams per item)
  • 200 cigars
  • 1 kilo of smoking tobaccos (water pipe tobacco is also included)

What cannot be imported?

Additional rules apply to certain products (see: Restricted or prohibited to import/export). Even when you are travelling in the EU. Examples:

  • endangered species of flora and fauna
  • art and antiques
  • (toy) guns
  • drugs

Please check with the local Customs of your transit and destination for the local regulations. These may slightly vary from the rules applicable in the Netherlands.

I am travelling by (rental) car with a foreign vehicle registration number

Are you entering the Netherlands by car or motorcycle with a foreign vehicle registration number? For more information see Car and motorcycle.

See also

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.