Plants, flowers, fruit and vegetables (phytosanitary products)

Do you want to import so-called phytosanitary products, such as plants, cut flowers, flower bulbs and tubers? Or vegetables and fruit? Or do you order them outside the European Union (EU), for example through the internet? Then you need a phytosanitary certificate.

Phytosanitary certificate

The country of departure will issue the certificate. Ask information about this from the authorities in the country of departure. When you enter the EU, your products will be tested by a phytosanitary inspection service.

For phytosanitary products from Switzerland you do not need a phytosanitary certificate.

Exception for small quantities

Sometimes you do not need a phytosanitary certificate and you may import your product without a problem. This is the case if the product:

  • does not pose a serious risk for spreading harmful organisms
  • when it is taken by travellers themselves as luggage for personal use
  • is not intended for direct or indirect commercial use
  • is not intended for scientific purposes

Have these conditions been observed? If this is the case, you do not need a permit for:

  • at most 5 kilos of vegetables or fruit
  • at most 5 bunches of cut flowers
  • at most 5 flower bulbs, flower tubers without leaf and flower

More information?

If so, check the website of the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (in Dutch; Nederlandse voedsel- en warenautoriteit - NVWA -  available in Dutch).

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.