Data exchange with the United States

Any person who is an American citizen must always file a tax return in the United States - no matter where they live. That is why financial institutions, such as banks and insurance companies, throughout the world are obliged to pass on financial data on American taxpayers to the American tax authority, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This obligation arises from an American Act, the FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act). In the Netherlands, these data are provided via the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. The financial institutions pass on these data to us and we forward the data to the IRS.

The Unites States sends financial data to us as well. These data pertain to Dutch taxpayers who have income or assets in the United States.

I am an American citizen

In order to determine whether you are an American citizen, a financial institution may send you a letter with questions. You may also receive a letter with questions if you are a representative of an organisation set up under American law. You are an American citizen if, for example, you have an American passport or were born in the United States.

Preventing double taxation

If you are an American citizen and live in the Netherlands, you may have to file 2 tax returns: 1 in the Netherlands and 1 in the United States. In order to prevent you from having to pay tax in both countries, the Netherlands and the United States have made agreements. You can find more information about this in Double tax relief (Aftrek voorkoming dubbele belasting).

See also

Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (only available in Dutch)



Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.