Requesting a postponement for filing a tax return

You must file a return for income tax and the income-related healthcare insurance contribution in time. If you are unable to do so, you may request a postponement. You must, however, do so in time.

How to request a postponement?

You can request a postponement in the Mijn Belastingdienst section. We must have received your letter before the tax return deadline. This date can be found in your invitation to file a tax return. If you don't have a DigiD, call the Tax Information Line for Non-Resident Tax Issues.

If you must file a tax return before 1 July, you may be granted a postponement until 1 November. Call for this the Tax Information Line for Non-Resident Tax Issues, or send us a letter. If you want the period of postponement to extend beyond 1 November, your letter should also state your preferred period of postponement and the reason why you need more time.

Which information should your letter contain?

Your letter should at least include the following information:

  • tax return year
  • your citizen service number
  • your initials and surname
  • your address
  • your postcode and town
  • date
  • your signature


Send your letter to:

Belastingdienst/kantoor Buitenland
Postbus 2523
6401 DA Heerlen
The Netherlands

No invitation to file a tax return received

If you did not receive an invitation to file a tax return but want to file a tax return, you need not request a postponement. You can file a tax return until 31 december 2023.

You should, however, bear in mind that you will also have to send a personal income statement if you want to be regarded as a qualifying non-resident taxpayer.




Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.