How do I lodge an objection to the variance decision?
You lodge an objection by sending a letter to your tax office. Your letter must contain the following information:
- your name
- your address
- your telephone number
- your citizen service number
- the date of the variance decision
- the reference number of the variance decision
I am an entrepreneur
If you are an entrepreneur, your letter must also contain:
- the name of your company
- the name of your tax consultant
Reasons for the objection
You objection must also state clearly:
- what you disagree with in the variance decision
- why you disagree with in the variance decision
We must be able to use the information you state in your objection to determine the details in your provisional assessment that you wish to change.
Postponement of payment
You can also request a postponement of payment in your objection to the variance decision. In that case, you should do a calculation to indicate the amount you think should be specified in the provisional assessment. State this amount and the difference from the amount imposed by the provisional assessment in your reasons for the objection.
Lodge an objection in time
You can lodge an objection to the variance decision until you have received the final assessment for that year. We must receive your objection no later than on the date stated in this final assessment.
An objection lodged by post is also on time if:
- you send the objection on the date stated in the final assessment, and
- we receive your objection no later than 1 week after this date