Corona crisis: Customs provides support to economic operators by a set of measures
Due to the corona crisis, many organisations are temporarily unable to comply with their payment obligations pursuant to the customs regulations and unable to observe all the time limits and customs formalities. Customs provides support to economic operators who come across such problems by a set of measures.
Please find an explanation below.
Also read: Corona crisis - payment deferral at Customs.
Update: 18 August 2020
Statutory time limits
- We provide tailor-made arrangements for organisations unable to keep to the strict statutory time limits such as time limits for the filing of supplementary customs declarations (the monthly declaration).
- We advise organisations to file objections and applications for refunds pro forma. Where the statutory time limits are exceeded, we are taking the circumstances into consideration.
- We consider the failure to comply with the statutory time limits for customs transport an excusable transgression if these are a consequence of the corona measures.
- We provide tailor-made arrangements for organisations unable to meet the solvability requirements of the AEO authorisation (Authorized Economic Operator or AEO), providing access to a customs representative or reducing or lifting security on the basis of a UCC authorisation providing continuous security.
- The time limit is suspended for on-going applications for authorisations which cannot be completed properly. If your organisation made an electronic application for the authorisation, we request you to apply for a postponement of the processing yourself. In the EU Trader Portal, please click on the button ‘Proposals for alterations and time limits’. In the EU Customs Trader Portal, please click on the button ‘Applications for alterations’ -for AEO applications-. We provide tailor-made arrangements for economic operators who quickly need an authorisation.
- In the field of excise duty, we provide tailor-made arrangements for organisations unable to comply with the denaturing requirements for alcohol which is intended for medical disinfectants.
Would you like to apply for one or more of these measures?
- Please go to the contact point for economic operators in your area. We will assess the situation of every organisation separately and individually and we may ask for more information. Your organisation must provide evidence of having problems which are a consequence of the corona crisis. We will cooperate with your organisation to come to a good solution within the legislation that applies.
- We will have an accommodating attitude to economic operators who, as a result of the corona crisis, fail to meet their customs obligations in time. We will not impose a penalty unless it is a matter of a violation or a crime and/or a wilful act or gross negligence.