I have been living abroad for the whole tax year – how to sign in to file my return?

You can sign in using your DigiD or by using a username and password.

DigiD not only allows you to access Mijn Belastingdienst, but personal information on other governmental, online platforms as well. At Mijn Belastingdienst you can’t only file your tax return, but also view previous tax returns and assessments as well as change your bank account details.

However, with a username and password you can only file your tax return online.

Apply for DigiD

Read more about how Dutch nationals can apply for a DigiD when living abroad. They need to collect an activation code either at an office in the Netherlands or at their country of residence.

Do you receive a state pension while living abroad? In that case you could also apply for a DigiD at the Dutch Social Insurance Bank (SVB). Since they will send you your activation code to your home address, this may be more convenient for you.

Apply for username and password

Please use the online form Requesting both username and password return for non-resident taxpayers to do so.

Log in using eIDAS

European companies and citizens can use an EU approved login method (eIDAS) to arrange online affairs with the government. Login tools from a number of countries have currently been EU approved.

Would you like more information on eIDAS, or do you wish to know which countries had their login tools approved? Please visit Government.nl.

Filing your tax return

Do you already have DigiD or a username/password combination? Then you are ready to file your return.

2021 tax return non-resident tax payers (Dutch)