How do I apply for a customs authorisation?

Our Customs authorisations overview explains exactly how to apply for an authorisation: via the EU portals or using an application form.

Applications for an authorisation in the EU portals

Single DWU authorisations can be applied for in the EU Trader Portal since 1 May 2019. From 1 January 2020, this will also apply to an increasing number of DWU authorisations that are only valid in the Netherlands.
Since 1 October 2019, you have been using the EU Customs Trader Portal for your AEO authorisation.

Please note!

If you are a sole trader, you still use the application form for your authorisation or Binding Tariff Information. You should also use the application form if you are applying for Binding Tariff Information or an AEO authorisation for a company with a non-Dutch EORI number.

You will usually receive a single authorisation within 120 days.

Apply for an authorisation with an application form

Fill in the form completely and send it to us by post. You cannot yet send the forms digitally.

Please note!

The application form often states that you also need another authorisation. For example, a 'Comprehensive Guarantee Authorisation' or an 'Electronic Messaging Registration'. You should therefore apply for it straight away. Otherwise it will take longer to make all the arrangements.

You will usually receive your authorisation within 90 days

Some authorisations arrive sooner. For a customs warehouse - in the Netherlands only - the period is 60 days. For other special schemes involving only the Netherlands, 30 days. That applies to authorisations for:

  • inward processing
  • outward processing
  • end-use
  • temporary admission

Overview of customs authorisations

There are many authorisation types: they are listed in our overview.

Do you need help applying for an authorisation?

Most applications for an authorisation contain an explanation of the questions. If you would like to know more about the laws and regulations, please see the Customs manuals.

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.