Can I buy anything I want online outside the Netherlands?
No, you are not allowed to have anything you want sent to the Netherlands.
Do not buy:
- counterfeit items, e.g. a fake Rolex watch
- narcotics, such as hashish, cocaine and heroin
- animal products and foodstuffs, such as cheese or meat
However these are allowed: chocolate, sweets, infant food including powder for baby milk and food for medical purposes.
- fresh vegetables, fruit, plants, flowers, bulbs and seeds
Unless you have a special document for this, a 'phytosanitary certificate' ('fytosanitair certificaat').
- protected plant and animal species
Also no products made from them, e.g. shoes made of crocodile leather or a hat with tiger fur.
- weapons and ammunition
Read more at Weapons and ammunition.
- art and antiques
You may not always send these 'cultural goods' (cultuurgoederen) to the Netherlands. If you are in doubt, ask whether you need a permit. This can be done, for example, at the Embassy of the Netherlands in the country from where you are buying the object, or with that country's Customs.