What does Brexit mean for my customs matters?

At present, the United Kingdom (UK) still belongs to the EU. But this is going to change: on 29 March 2019, the UK will leave the EU. 

In Brussels, the EU and the UK are currently negotiating on a possible transition period and a trade agreement. Once we have more formation on this, we will make it available on our website.

When the UK leaves the EU, different customs regulations will apply to this region

You should start to bear this in mind now. After Brexit, you will have to declare goods you import from the UK, or export to the UK, or if you transport goods within the EU. Would you like to know more? Please, go to:

The rules on excise goods will change

Will you be transporting excise goods from the Netherlands to the UK after Brexit? This will then count as export to a third country. You will then not only have to deal with the procedures of the EMCS, you will also have to file an export declaration.

Will you be transporting excise goods from the UK to the Netherlands after Brexit? This will then count as import from a third country. You will therefore have to file an import declaration.

Do you hold a 'Registered Consignor Authorisation'? In that case, you can state in the declaration that the excise goods are being transported on under an excise duty suspension arrangement. For example, to an excise warehouse. Or a tax warehouse in another Member State.

For VAT purposes, the intra-community regulations no longer apply

Will you make purchases from suppliers in the UK after Brexit? Then you must submit an import declaration to Customs.

Will you be selling to customers in the UK after Brexit? If so, you must submit an export declaration to Customs.

More information?

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.