You are moving from the Netherlands

Are you moving from the Netherlands to another country? If so, you may need to complete customs formalities.

I am moving to another EU country

Are you moving to another EU country? If so, you will generally be able to take your household effects with you without having to file a declaration with Customs in the Netherlands and the other EU country.

I am moving from the Netherlands to a non-EU country

Are you moving from the Netherlands to a non-EU country? If so, you must file an export declaration for your removal goods with Customs and include an inventory list of the items you are taking with you.

Special rules

For both EU and non-EU countries, there may be special rules for:

  • cars and motorcycles (BPM: refund for export)
  • specific products and domestic animals
  • dogs and cats
  • counterfeit articles
  • endangered species
  • animal products
  • weapons and ammunition
  • narcotics
  • cultural goods (such as art and antiques) 
    Go to the section Restricted or prohibited to import or export on this website for the applicable rules.

What customs formalities are there in the country of destination and transit?

Dutch Customs cannot tell you which customs and other formalities you need to complete in the country of destination and/or transit. You will therefore need to make enquiries with the authorities of the country of destination and/or transit. Or ask your removal company.

Do you have any questions?

If you have any specific questions about cars and motorcycles, please call the Tax Information Line Cars.

For all other questions, call the Customs Information Line.

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.