I am travelling within the European Union (EU)

Travelling within the European Union (EU) is like domestic travel. You do not need to pass through Customs. Are you travelling from special EU areas or are you bringing special products, such as counterfeit articles, endangered animal or plant species or food? Please take into account additional regulations.

I am travelling from the Canary Islands or the Channel Islands or another specific area

The Canary Islands or Channel Islands are not considered EU territory. Tax regulations for travels from outside the EU are applicable here. Read more on I am travelling from outside the European Union (EU) to the Netherlands.

Other areas that are not considered EU territory are: the French overseas departments (Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, Réunion, Mayotte), the Åland Islands, Gibraltar, Heligoland, Büsingen, Ceuta and Melilla and Livigno.

Campione d’Italia, the Italian waters of Lake Lugano area and Mount Athos belong to the EU territory, except for VAT purposes.

I am bringing beverages (alcohol) or tobacco with me

Are you travelling within the EU? You are then allowed to bring in the following for your own use:

  • 110 litres of beer
  • 90 litres of wine, of which a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine
  • 20 litres of fortified wine, such as sherry or port
  • 10 litres of spirits, such as whisky, cognac, gin
  • 800 cigarettes
  • 400 cigarillos (cigars with a maximum weight of 3 grams per item)
  • 200 cigars
  • 1 kilo of smoking tobacco (water pipe tobacco is also included)

Import restrictions and prohibitions

Additional rules apply to certain products, even when you are travelling in the EU. (Read more under the section Restricted or prohibited to import/export).  For example:

  • endangered species
  • cultural goods (such as arts and antiques)
  • weapons and ammunition
  • drugs

Please check with the local Customs of your transit and destination country for the local regulations. These may slightly vary from the rules applicable in the Netherlands.

I am travelling by (rental) car with a foreign vehicle registration number

Are you entering the Netherlands by car or motorcycle with a foreign vehicle registration number? Read more on Car and motorcycle.

See also

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.