Weapons, ammunition and dummy weapons and explosives
Do not bring any weapons, ammunition and explosives with you on your trip, and do not have them imported in the Netherlands and the European Union (EU) either.
You are only allowed to bring in weapons, ammunition and explosives if you have been issued a licence by the Dutch government. You also must have a licence for firearms used for shooting sports and hunting. Are you bringing in these weapons or explosions without a licence? We then seize these items.
Examples of weapons and ammunition are:
- bludgeons, thrust and stabbing weapons (such as knives, brass knuckles and swords)
- gas heat guns
- airsoft equipment
- alarm guns
- pepper spray
- dummy weapons
Examples of bludgeons, thrust and stabbing weapons, stilettos, switch blades and butterfly knives are:
- folding knives with more than 1 cutting edge
- folding knives that are 28 centimetres long in folded position
- brass buckles
- ninja stars
- skinning knives
- ballistic knives
- arrows and arrow heads used to shoot with a bow and that have cutting edges that could injure someone
Dummy weapons that resemble real weapons. You are not allowed to bring these in to the Netherlands. Are you bringing in these weapons without a licence? We then seize these items. You have committed an offence and may be charged.
With permission only
It is possible to be granted permission to transport weapons used for hunting, and shooting and airsoft sports. For more information, please call Belastingdienst/Douane Groningen/team CDIU - Central Import and Export Office: 088 - 151 21 22.
Airsoft equipment are replica firearms used in airsoft sports. You are allowed to bring these in if you have an exemption. You are entitled to an exemption if you meet the following conditions:
- You are a member of a recognised airsoft association.
- You can show your membership card of this association.
- You have packed the equipment in such a way that it is not ready for immediate use.