Can I stop my provisional assessment as a non-resident taxpayer?

Yes, you can if you are sure that your situation will change this year.

Stopping your provisional assessment is not always possible online. Sometimes it is only possible with a paper form.

Stopping your provisional assessment online?

Stopping your provisional assessment online is only possible if you monthly receive money back through your provisional assessment. This is only possible in the following situations:

  • You have a provisional assessment for deductions. For example, you are entitled to mortgage interest relief.
  • You have a provisional assessment for tax credits, and you have no deductions. For instance, you have the general tax credit and the income-related combination tax credit.

On the back of your provisional assessment, you can see your deductions and tax credits. We have sent you this provisional assessment on paper and in your Berichtenbox.

Online form ‘Uitbetaling van mijn voorlopige aanslag 2023 stopzetten

You can stop your provisional assessment 2023 with the online form ‘Uitbetaling van mijn voorlopige aanslag 2023 stopzetten’ ('Stop payment of my provisional assessment 2023’). Please do this after you have received your provisional assessment 2023. You will find this online form in Mijn Belastingdienst under 'Inkomstenbelasting' (‘Income tax’). To log in to Mijn Belastingdienst, you do need either a DigiD or an EU-approved login key.

Log in to Mijn Belastingdienst (Dutch only)

Stopping your provisional assessment with the paper form?

Are you unable to stop your provisional assessment online? In that case, please use the paper form 'Request for or change of a provisional assessment 2023 for non-resident taxpayers'. You can order this form online.

Complete the entire form. In other words, with the data that do not change and the data that you wish to change. Send the completed form back to us. If it shows that you are no longer entitled to a provisional assessment, we will stop it.

What happens next?

You will receive a reply from us within 8 weeks.

If you have already received money in the year of the provisional assessment, you may have to repay a certain amount. We will inform you of this, as well.