What information do I need before filing my tax return? Check the overview

Did you live outside the Netherlands in 2020, but still had income or property here? You then must file a tax return as ‘non-resident tax payer’. Please check below if you have gathered all the information you will need to proceed with your tax return.

You need these details. We have listed them below, per category.

Personal details

  • Your citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN), if applicable, those of your partner and children
  • Your bank account details (IBAN, preferably a Dutch bank account)
  • Your DigiD or – if you do not have one - your username/password combination
  • Your telephone number
  • Your home address details

Income (worldwide)

  • Your annual income statements for 2020
    If you do not have any income statements: your payslips.
  • In case of wages received from Belgium: all payslips
  • Spousal maintenance payments received

Bank account details (Dutch and foreign bank accounts)

  • Your current account annual statement 2020
  • Your savings account annual statement 2020, as well as the annual statement of the savings accounts of your children under 18 years of age
  • Your investment account annual statement 2020


If you are considered a ‘non-resident tax payer’:

  • Your own home’s WOZ value on 1 January 2019
    You’ll find this value on last year’s municipal WOZ assessment.
  • Your mortgage’s annual statement 2020
  • In case of purchase or sale of your house: the final settlement from your notary

If you are considered a ‘qualifying non-resident tax payer’ or if you are covered by Dutch social insurance, you will also need your foreign home’s details:

  • The value of your foreign home
  • Your foreign home’s mortgage annual statement 2020

Deductions (only if you are a ‘qualifying non-resident tax payer’, or if you were living in Belgium, Surinam or Aruba, or if you were covered by Dutch social insurance)

You will need proof of payment. For instance:

  • Gifts
  • Costs for care which were not covered
    Your own Healthcare Insurance Act contribution. Non-deductible items are: private care insurance premium and any deductible excess.
  • Paid partner alimony
  • Costs for study, in case you were not entitled to any study loans or grants

Other (only if you are a ‘qualifying non-resident tax payer’, or if you were living in Belgium, Surinam or Aruba, or if you were covered by Dutch social insurance)

  • Details of grants or loans for study costs
  • Details of other loans or debts
  • Details of paid premiums for annuities
  • Overview of paid premiums for occupational disability insurance
  • Details of dividend

When applicable:

  • Provisional assessment income tax 2020
  • Provisional assessment income dependent Health Insurance Act contribution 2020
It may be helpful to have last year’s tax return at hand, especially if your situation has not changed much in the past year.

Can't find all documents? They may be digital

Many Dutch organisations solely send mail in a digital format. Your Message Box contains digital mail from the Dutch authorities, such as your provisional tax assessment for 2021. You can log in using your DigiD.

Do you have all details at hand?

Your tax return is available at: Mijn Belastingdienst (My Tax and Customs Administration).
Please make sure your tax return is sent to us in time. The date is stated in your tax return letter.

Log in to: Mijn Belastingdienst

If you are unable to file your tax return before the 1st of July, please file a request for an extension in time.