I want to apply for a benefit

Check how and when to apply for a benefit.

How to apply for a benefit?

You can apply for a benefit online via the Mijn toeslagen section. You will need a DigiD for this. The 'Mijn toeslagen' section is only available in Dutch.

You can also call the Tax Information Line. They can make an appointment for you at a tax office or refer you to a benefits service point. Here, they will help you with your application.

Citizen service number

If you apply for a benefit, you must have a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer or bsn). You will receive this number if you register with the municipality. You must have a citizen service number for your child as well.

My benefit partner lives abroad

Does your benefit partner live abroad? For example, because you do seasonal work? To be able to apply for benefits, you both need a citizen service number (bsn). Please call the Tax Information Line for more information. Or visit Burgerservicenummer als u, uw partner of uw kind buiten Nederland woont (information in Dutch only).

What is the deadline for applying for a benefit?

You can apply for the healthcare benefit, rent benefit and supplementary child benefit for a certain year up to 1 September of the following year. You may, for example, apply for a benefit for 2024 until 1 September 2025, and you can apply for a benefit for 2023 until 1 September 2024.

Do you file an income tax return in the Netherlands and are you granted a postponement for filing the income tax? In that case, you can still apply for a benefit until the end of the postponement period.

Please note!

You must apply for childcare benefit within 3 months after the month in which your child first goes to the childcare centre. Therefore, do not wait too long to apply for childcare benefit, otherwise you may miss out on payments.

Apply once for a benefit

You only need to apply for a benefit once. As long as you meet the conditions, the benefit will be paid to you each year. However, you should notify us of any changes in your situation. Or discontinue the benefit if you are no longer entitled to it.

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.