My child goes to a childcare centre

Does your child go to a childcare centre? If so, you may be entitled to the childcare benefit. This is a contribution towards the costs of childcare.

Conditions for the childcare benefit

These are the conditions for you and your possible benefit partner:

  • You have a job or you take part in a reintegration programme, a civic integration course or a training programme.   
  • The childcare centre or childminding agency is registered. In case of childminding services, the childminder must be registered as well.
  • You concluded a contract with the childcare centre or childminding agency.
  • You pay the costs of the childcare.
  • You have the nationality of an EU country, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland. Are you from another country? In that case, you need a valid residence permit or work permit.

For how many hours may I receive the childcare benefit?

The number of childcare hours for which you may receive the childcare benefit depends on the number of hours worked by the parent with the fewest working hours. You are entitled to the childcare benefit for a maximum of 230 hours per month per child.

Do you or does your benefit partner take part in a training programme, reintegration programme or a civic integration course? Then you may also be entitled to the childcare benefit.

My family does not live in the Netherlands

Do your benefit partner and your children live in an EU country, in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland? And do your children go to a childcare centre in that country? If so, you may also be entitled to the childcare benefit. You and your benefit partner must meet the conditions stated above.

A foreign childcare centre must be registered as well. Check the register of foreign childcare (Register buitenlandse kinderopvang - only available in Dutch) to see if your childcare centre is registered.  

Applying for benefits yourself

You can apply for the childcare benefit yourself. Information about how to do this can be found under I want to apply for a benefit.  

Submit changes on time

Is there any change in the details used to calculate your benefit, for example your income or the number of childcare hours? In that case, you have to notify us of this change. Information on how to do this can be found under I want to submit a change.  

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.