Citizen Service Number

To work in the Netherlands, your employee needs a Citizen Service Number (Burger Service Nummer or BSN for short). The BSN is listed in Dutch passports and Dutch identity documents.

For employees from abroad who don't have a BSN yet, the following applies:

  • Employees staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months need to register at one of the 19 municipalities with a Non-Resident Registration (Registratie Niet-ingezetenen, RNI) desk.
  • Employees staying in the Netherlands for 4 months or longer need to register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP).

After registration, your employee will receive a copy of the registered information, including their BSN. For more information about RNI and BRP, you can visit (only available in Dutch).

When applying for a BSN, employees must:

  • provide a valid and original identification document for identification purposes
  • have a valid residence endorsement in their passport indicating permission to work in the Netherlands, if they come from a non-EU/EEA country
    Although Switzerland is a non-EU/EEA country, employees from Switzerland do not need a residence endorsement in their passport.

Please note!

Artists and professional athletes living abroad are exempt from needing a BSN.

Javascript is disabled in this web browser. You must activate Javascript in order to view this website.